The National Center for Artificial Insemination and Genetic Improvement (CNIAAG) was established as a public Institution with Industrial and Commercial Character (EPIC) by Presidential Decree n ° 88-04 of January 5, 1988, which modified and supplemented by Executive Decree No. 05-434 of 10 November 2005. The Center is one of the entities of the Ministry of Agriculture and Rural Development. The Center is administered by a Board of Directors and headed by a Chief Executive Officer. The center’s mandate is to monitor and control of all activities in the country, that has included:
- Establishment of a census of the numbers of the different animal species concerned by the AI
- Implementation of seed supply programs and RN equipment in consultation with relevant institutions and organizations
- The development of RN programs and their implementation
- The establishment of a national stock of animal seed safety
In terms of genetic improvement, the Center is responsible, in particular, for:
- Organization, monitoring, and control of genetic performance and selection of broodstock.
- Prospecting, selection of spawners and implementation of means of conservation and genetic improvement of animal species.
- The development and maintenance of genealogical books, on its own initiative or in partnership with specialized organizations concerned.
- The use of semen in accordance with a well-established genetic program and Evaluate the results.
The Center is working through 3 main pillars the first is the artificial insemination which concerns of production and distribution of semen (Bovines, sheep, goats), the second pillar is the genetic improvement which concerns of development of artificial insemination programs and their implementation and the last pillar is Genetic improvement which includes the use of the semen in accordance with a genetic program duly established to the objectives of the Ministry and introduction of cryopreservation techniques for the maintenance and development of local breeds bovine, ovine, goat, equine.
The extension of all the activities of the center on the ground is done by 475 contracted inseminators numbered in 42 districts,
- In the year 2014, outputs fell following the foot - and - mouth epidemic, success rate vs. RIA is between 45 and 48%
- In 2015, the production of bovine semen reached 145527 semen and the export was 28000 in the same year compared by 58200 in 2014.
- In 2016, the Center started production of bovine embryos and genomic testing by using foreign laboratories in cattle exporting countries to Algeria.
The prospect of the center is to:
- Introduction of sexed semen for creating heifers nurseries
- Introduction of the beef semen
- Boost the activity of artificial insemination as the main pillar of the national genetic improvement of dairy cattle program.
- Introduction of new techniques such as testing by genomics and embryo transfer
CNIAAG Contact details:
Centre National de l’Insémination Artificielle et de l’Amélioration Génétique
Haouch Erroussi – BP 10 Birtouta 16045 - Alger
Tel/Fax : + 213 23 40 00 12