Owner: The National Center for Research on Date Palm - Ahsa
Compost is a Latin word that means things are put together. A product comes from the decomposition of organic materials. The production of compost is considered one of the effective ways to transform agricultural waste into organic fertilizers which are of the highest quality organic fertilizer.
The National Center for Research on Date Palm - Ahsa has experienced the production of compost from the remnants of palm trees in the center fields to take advantage of this waste as organic fertilizer and to disseminate this experience among farmers to benefit from the remnants of palm plantations instead of burning it causing environment pollution and losing of organic matter.
Convert crop residue or fruit or vegetables or trees or animal wastes into organic fertilizer
The process of converting palm waste to organic fertilizer:
Convert crop residue or fruit or vegetables or trees or animal wastes into organic fertilizer is through microbial process. This process requires the availability of air, water and chemical elements and the appropriate temperature. This process depends on the activity of a combination of bacterial and fungal species and other microorganisms. Nitrogen is essential for the growth of micro-organisms while the carbon is the source of her energy so the ratio of carbon to nitrogen task. Where excess nitrogen ratio with increasing material and green is the ratio of carbon: nitrogen 30: 1 ratio is perfect and you also need the microbes to the center of where the water is considered humidity 40-60% typical ratio for the conversion process.
Stages of preparing compost waste using palm fronds:
- Materials used in the preparation of the heap:
- Fronds and other remnants of palm cut into small pieces by a special machine for cutting fronds.
- Organic fertilizer, preferably cows free of sand.
- Preparation of the heap method:
- Making a pile of two meters wide and the length of at least two meters high and a meter and a half meters.
- furnishings layer of palm remnants of a thickness of 15-20 cm added by a layer of manure in the same thickness, more layers will be added until reaches a meter and a half high.
- After the completion of the preparation of the pile, it should be covered to protect it from the sun. The cover is made of palm fronds or net shading or any other material available to keep the humidity inside the pile.
- The irrigated of the pile shall be though preparing irrigation network, or by using any other way of irrigation. Irrigation process must ensure the pile get a good amount of moisture to help in decomposing so that they are parallel in moisture and is not saturated and very dry so as to create anaerobic conditions within the pile. To confirm the moisture of the whole pile, touch the pile or take a sample of them by hand and ensure access to appropriate moisture.
- It is necessary to turn the pile almost every month to ensure the pile get good ventilation that helps microorganisms to analysis of organic materials.
Results and successes:
By using this way in producing Compost, we get a high quality of compost.
Qualities of a good compost:
- Homogeneous and friable.
- A dark brown color.
- Nitrogen to carbon ratio of between 1:15.
- A high proportion of nitrogen, phosphorus and ready Authority available to the plant.
- A high proportion of organic micro-organisms useful plant.
- Acceptable Alaptmus like odor
Director General of the Palm Research Center, dates Ahsa
Dr. Yousef bin Ahmed Al-Fuhaid
Work phone: 00966135301660