Solution: Agriculture is the main source of food supplies in Armenia and forms about 17% of GDP, 52% of the countries population works in agriculture. 8 out of 10 regions in Armenia are prone to hails (medium to intensive). Every hail destroys around 4-5% of the crops and agricultural products, which, annually is estimated to be around 8 million USD in losses. A hail storm in Ararat valley in May 2013 destroyed 3000ha of vineyards and 2000ha of apricot yield in 46 communities with estimated total loss almost 60 million USD.
Goals and Objectives: The project initiated the installation of anti-hail nets as a pilot measure and new culture to protect vine yards.
Implementation: In 2012, in the framework of UNDP DRR Project and in cooperation with Ministry of Emergency Situations, World Vision Armenia and Regional Capacity Building for Climate Risk Management in Europe and CIS project of UNDP Bratislava Regional Centre, a small scale adaptation project was implemented in Tavush community.
Owing to the joint efforts anti hail nets were installed in 4,500 m2 in one of the communities’ private vine yards by serving as protection measure against the hail storms. If for the last 4 years this vineyard was destroyed by hailstorm and only 400 kg of grape was gathered and loses were about 4,800 USD, after installation of hail nets 15.000 kg of grape was harvested from the same territory in 2013.
The ACBA Bank has undertaken the following activities:
- Identified and provided the list of farmers who applied for the nets/loan;
- Assessed the risks and ensure the affordability of the farmers involved in the project;
- Signed the loan contracts with the farmers, inform UNDP and arrange loan provision to farmers according to Armenian legislation;
- Transferred the amount indicated in the invoice from the supplier of to UNDP within 30 working days after UNDP official notification.
The UNDP Armenia provided the following contributions:
- Studied and presented information on the hail storm and wind zone profiles of the target regions/communities;
- Based on the request from the Bank used its procurement procedures for international tendering for procurement of nets, inform the bank on all stages of procurement and arrival of the nets to timely organize delivery and installation to final beneficiaries;
- Based on the loan agreement between the Bank and respective farmer provided the goods to the farmer;
- Consolidated statistical data related to installed anti-hail nets effectiveness, provide advisory support, trainings and study tours.
Achievements: Investments into anti-hail net systems and their development gave the farmers the opportunity to avoid hail risks and guaranteed high-quality harvest.
Replication: The solution can be of interest for replication in countries prone to hails to reduce vulnerability of agricultural systems to climate change.
Partners: ACBA (Credit Agricole Bank), World Vision, CARD, OXFAM
Budget: based purely on grant allocations (40,000USD)
Contact person: Armen Chillingaryan, DRR Programme Coordinator
Phone number:+374 60 530000