Goals and objectives: The mission of the cooperative is to ensure more income for producers by enabling them to produce better, cost-effective processing and marketing of their products. The cooperative is aimed at improving the economic and social lives of rural communities. So far, its membership has reached 2,085 shareholders, having started with 580 shareholders in 2002.
Implementation: To contribute to economic development and social peace, the cooperative is driven by the motto “Not Monopolisation But Cooperatives.” In order to reduce production expenses, the solution offers the following services to its shareholders:
- Fuel supply: provided with a lower price than the market and in-kind payment and deliver it to our shareholders’ businesses with our tankers.
- Feed, fertilizer, seed supply: We provide our shareholders, seed, fertilizer, feed and other materials under economical conditions.
- Machinery and Equipment Support: With the machinery and equipment we possess, we provide services such as leveling, sowing, harvesting, collecting and packaging.
- Roughage support
- Outlet Store: to satisfy daily needs of shareholders, an outlet store with in-kind payment has been set up.
- Agri-Market: shareholders can acquire every kind of agricultural machinery and equipment with affordable payment plans.
- Training and Consultancy Services: to turn animal husbandry into a profession in cooperation with Ege University and Directorate of Public Education, applied trainings on animal husbandry, feed and rations, animal feeding, milking and hygiene were provided to farmers.
Achievements: The cooperative has increased its net assets 32-fold in 13 years and is an important employment source with 285 employees. That number was 11 people in 2002. Due to the Tire Milk Cooperative, efforts on milk production in Turkey have increased four times. The achievement of the cooperative was recognized by FAO by being awarded the title “Example Model of Rural Development.”
Replication: The solution offers a sustainable and successful model of cooperative management that can be replicated in countries in need to develop the cooperatives system.
Partners: IFAD, Ege University, Directorate of Public Education
İbn-i Melek Mahallesi Turgut Özal Bulvarı No:67 Tire / İZMİR, Turkey
Mahmut ESKİYÖRÜK Chairman of Tire Milk Cooperative
Phone: +90 532 111 0 875
Fax: : +90 232 512 81 11